Who was Lance Corporal George Partridge? (Soldier, 27, died in army diving lesson after instructors skipped a stage of five-week training course)Wiki, Bio, Age, Instagram, Twitter & Quick Facts

Lance Corporal George Partridge Wiki

Lance Corporal George Partridge Biography

Who is Lance Corporal George Partridge?

A soldier died during an army diving course after skipping a stage of his five-week training course, an inquest has found.

Lance Corporal George Partridge, 27, who died while exercising at the National Diving and Events Centre near the Welsh border, had been on the course for four weeks.

The centre, in Tedenham, Gloucestershire, has sunken planes, buses and armoured vehicles at the quarry where divers can practice operations.

cause of death

On March 26, 2018, the soldier and 11 other cadets were planning a 19th dive of their course, which included a descent to a depth of 21 to 23 metres, the inquest in Gloucester has heard.

But decided to skip that exercise and go straight to the program’s 20th dive, which included a descent into an underwater helicopter to a depth of 26-27 meters.

L/ Corporal Partridge, described as the best student in the group, went downstairs at 11am with his ‘his friend’ Stephen Hart but ran into trouble minutes later.

The inquest heard that when he surfaced, his mask was down and both of his gas tanks were found empty.

Dive Supervisor, Staff Sergeant. Justin Dolly told the grand jury the 19th dive was skipped because the students had made two deeper dives the previous week, diving between 1 and 30 metres at Solent, near Southampton.

He agreed with Gloucestershire Assistant Coroner Roland Woodson, who believed the reason for the change was “to do something more interesting and identify the helicopter”.

“We decided to dive into the wreckage of the helicopter, which was more interesting than what they saw in the first four weeks of training,” Sgt. Dolly said.

At the start of the inquest, Gloucestershire Assistant Coroner Roland Woodson told the jury: “I took an Army diver training course.” George and colleagues at the National Diving Centre in Chepstow on March 26, 2018.

He took part in a dive, but at the end he did not respond to communications. A reserve diver was sent to rescue George, found him and pulled him out of the water.

Medical assistance was sought, but unfortunately George was pronounced dead.


“There have been several investigations and investigations since his death and you will learn more from him in due course.”

The investigation began by showing the jury a mannequin wearing the same diving jacket and equipment as L/C Partridge, including the main tank, backup tank, inflation tank, pressure gauge and face shield.

Sergeant Dolly told the jury L/C Partridge had been “very good”.

“One of the teachers named him the best student in the class,” he said.

“I think he’s very fit and fit and more active than the other members of the class.”

He said the divers had an audio communication system, but it was unreliable and surface diving attendants resorted to pulling lifelines, using a signal similar to Morse code.

He said he saw two sets of bubbles appearing on L/C Partridge and his “his friend” Stephen Hart, who appeared to be working together to unravel a thread.

Ten minutes later, they tried to surface the men using a voice communication system, but got no response.

One of the attendees thought the L/C Partridge was sending a signal to Lifeline, but didn’t think it was enough to ensure he was communicating.

None of the divers responded to a lifeline signal to call them, but then Hart said he was ascending.

“I immediately dispatched a reserve diver, Corporal Michael Watson,” Sgt. Dolly said.

She said when George surfaced, she could see he was not wearing a mask.

“He was undressing,” she said. When he surfaced, I thought he was in a coma. This is at 11:17.

We pulled it out of the water and called 999 right away. I also pressed the panic button on the dock. George’s gas cylinders were investigated and both were empty.

Elliott Woolf QC, representing the family, asked Sergeant Dolly if he believed the students would dive 10m deep in the course long enough for them to safely dive into the helicopter.

“All boxes were checked before this dive,” she said.

But when he was asked again, he added, “It seems to me that they[students]could have done mid-range depth training.”

He added that at the time of the accident, he had not been taught the air resistance table, which shows how long a diver can safely stay at depth.

The military introduced the use of air resistance meters in late 2018, he said.

Leave a Comment